Unwavering Hope

My photo
I am a 29 year old woman married to my best friend and love of my life. My husband is 39 and has been diagnosed w/ Male Factor Infertility. I have a diminished ovarian reserve (FSH levels 11.9 & 7.8 ). We have tried IUI's and are now on the path to IVF w/ ICSI. Our third attempt lead us to where we are now. We are now blessed with our miracle son. This is our journey.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Low Sperm Morphology? WTF???

We both went through all the tests out there to see what could be going on...
My husband got a sperm analysis and 1 1/2 weeks passed. When the doctor called with the results she began to talk and the next words I heard come from her mouth stayed swimming in my thoughts for weeks on end. It's funny (not really) how much can change in a matter of minutes.
Here I was thinking---what's the worst that could happen? maybe low sperm count?---Up until that point that it is all I ever heard could be wrong with sperm.
When the Dr. began to say the words "abnormal sperm morphology," I was so scared. What does that mean? Up until that point she had been telling us to go it natural a little longer...after those results she gave me the # to a fertility specialist and a urologist....she left me with contact info and these words...
"Your chances for conceiving naturally are very small. I'm sorry that this road may be longer that we originally thought."
Every vision I've had of making love to the love of my life and creating a life was sucked out of me....I cried...I cried for hours, days, weeks...
I cried in front of my husband...I cried in secret...I cried alone. I mourned and continue to mourn the loss of my illusions.
I am still in mourning. I'm walking the path of acceptance.
I'm grateful that we have options today. I'm grateful for the science/technology available.
There is hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment